Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are there actual signature mods on here?

Options
  • 11-01-2008 5:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭

Quick question,
    Is there a group of people that actually look after signatures of people and report them. I know Biko has done it a few times, but I was pm'd the following today:

"Your signature is in violation of the boards.ie signature rules, which can be found here. As these guidelines exist to improve the browsing experience of the boards.ie userbase, and to reduce the workload on its poor, abused servers, it would be greatly appreciated if you were to edit your signature in accordance with these rules. A failure to comply with this request within 48 hours will result in the notification of a boards.ie administrator

Yours sincerely

ethernet, Boards.ie SIGPO"

The fact that it was signed "Boards.ie SIGPO", was just weird as I didnt know there was a specific band of individuals that control such things...
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Admins and smods are the ones who can edit the signatures. The Signature Polleeeeece are the ones who report and let users know that their signatures are in violation of the rewels. Any user can do it if they spot something off about a signature.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

SIGPO are volunteers.
    We work from PMs to us, reports in Feedback SIGPO thread or when we see a sig2big.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭white_falcon

fair nuf...just thought it was a bit lame

feel free to lock this thread thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

fair nuf...just thought it was a bit lame

feel free to lock this thread thanks

self appointed jerk offs in my honest opinion.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Never reported a sig myself, but its good that someone does. Large sigs esp with animation, or ones that resize the post window are really annoying.

*Hugs SIGPO dudes*

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭Oriel

It sounds quite sad actually. And I mean that, I genuinely feel sorry for these people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭white_falcon

Oriel wrote: »
    It sounds quite sad actually. And I mean that, I genuinely feel sorry for these people.

totally..

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Get over it. Its like saying "Mods who tell people they break the rules, how sad". Read the rules, stick with em and all will be fine. Mods, Smods etc have enough to be doing without watching peoples sigs, which is why we have the SIGPO to assist users. If that fails, SMODs fix the sigs.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

self appointed jerk offs in my honest opinion.

Odd, I distinctly remember you telling me to sort out my sig on a couple of occasions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭Firewalkwithme

The SIGPO are to be commended for their tireless work. Without them, chaos would surly reign.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I've got stung by them a few times. You ask the question what did you do wrong. You get an answer and learn from your mistakes. Its all good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Credit to Biko for his un-tiring work.
    Oh yes, mind the stairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,993 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I had my signature set to "slut" back when slutty was the fashion on boards. One day I received a PM from a random forum mod telling me to change it. So I changed it to "total slut".

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

what shagarse told you to change it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

Azezil ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

Ah SIGPO. Mod groupies with nothing better to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

Lol. No need, it's not as if I (and others - I assume) sit here scanning for people who break the rules. Nor do I confine my life to the internet, one website, one thread, or notifying people of rules they may or may not be aware of. Nor is it where I get my kicks.

When I notice one that particularly catches my eye, I pm them, 95% comply apologetically and never get reported to the Sigpo thread.
    I would only report repeat persistent offenders immediately (though 6th complied rather quickly recently).

To the OP, it's a generic message you received, devised years ago, don't take it too personally. I certainly don't. Any user that spots a sig in violation of the rules can send it to another user and sign it as they please; I (and others) use the template (or something very similar) that the Admins agreed to at the time the rules were devised.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

I notice that most of the moaners here have sigs that don't comply.

Good for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

I notice that most of the moaners here have sigs that don't comply.

Good for you.

Bastard! I loved that signature :(.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭henbane

FSM forbid some interested users might make it easier for the rest of us to read boards. FSM knows we don't need anything like that.

They must be all sad twáts... am I big online cóckswinging motherfúcker now?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭weeder

im still not too sure whhy ive been given out to for mine, sad people alright

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

SigPo sucks. Without SigPo, I could put this as my sig:
    we-do-not-lol.jpg

The people on dial-up would loev meh icon_twisted.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

biko wrote: »
    SIGPO are volunteers.

lol, as opposed to the mods on the boards.ie payroll :P

edit: oh, holy crap the_syco! you just about killed my dialup!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭Oriel

cast_iron wrote: »
    Lol. No need, it's not as if I (and others - I assume) sit here scanning for people who break the rules. Nor do I confine my life to the internet, one website, one thread, or notifying people of rules they may or may not be aware of.

Do you not stop and think - "Wait, I could be out writing a great piece of literature, I could be making a difference, being a father, a brother, a... Ah no wait, I'd rather sit here in my house and inform people that the computerised image that they post at the foot of their posts on an Irish website is 10 pixels to large for the admin's approval, as random as that restriction may be. Yeah that'll do."

I'm an admin of two vbulletin fourms, I let the users tear at it, until one of them steps over the line, and that doesn't happen that often.
    That said, the forums I look after aren't nearly as large as boards.ie, but the principle remains the same.
    I'm not a web-nazi, enforcing stupid rules that I don't agree with. If it affects bandwidth and speed, fine. It it affects user's quality of using the forum, fine.
    If not (10pixels), why bother?

A confession however. I'm the first person to correct stupid grammar mistakes. Hands, up I'm guilty of the same thing. But that's about basic human interaction, not a silly web graphic.

You're not allow to center your sigs. What the hell?

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

A confession however. I'm the first person to correct stupid grammar mistakes. Hands, up I'm guilty of the same thing. But that's about basic human interaction, not a silly web graphic.
    It's the same thing, you've shot yourself in the foot with that one. They are both about human interaction and self-expression and the rules that govern them. Why are you so quick to point out if someone has missed a hyphen somewhere? Do you not have anything better to do like going out in life and making a difference, being a father or a brother? Instead you are administrating 2 VB boards and post regularly also on a third, jeez you must be correcting people's grammar all day long. That's a bit sad isn't it?

I mean, what does a spelling mistake do to harm anyone? Using our superior intellect we can understand context and understand what someone is trying to say and extrapolate, hence rendering the spelling mistake pointless to worry over.

The sig rules are there for a reason, mainly they are the Admins' ideal boundaries, they are what the Admins think is the maximum that people should use. But also they are a reduction of what most of the people on boards want most of the time, as you can't please all of the people all of the time. The users on boards generally don't want large sigs or sigs that break the flow of the thread.

Ten pixels over the limit is breaking the rules, but as has been said; there is leeway allowed in some cases. I remember a poster had been asked by ecksor to reduce his sig as it was 2big and he reduced it to one pixel over the maximum size just to piss ecksor off. I think the guy got sitebanned, I could be wrong, it could have been just forum banned.

When you make a rule it has to be enforced doesn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

Would you like the admins to enable the strict sig rules by a few clicks??

I think not

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

Quick question,
    Is there a group of people that actually look after signatures of people and report them. I know Biko has done it a few times, but I was pm'd the following today:

"Your signature is in violation of the boards.ie signature rules, which can be found here. As these guidelines exist to improve the browsing experience of the boards.ie userbase, and to reduce the workload on its poor, abused servers, it would be greatly appreciated if you were to edit your signature in accordance with these rules. A failure to comply with this request within 48 hours will result in the notification of a boards.ie administrator

Yours sincerely

ethernet, Boards.ie SIGPO"

The fact that it was signed "Boards.ie SIGPO", was just weird as I didnt know there was a specific band of individuals that control such things...

To which you replied:
    wow...you really must be bored...

I just felt a compulsion to inform you about the sig rules. It was my first such SIGPO action. That must make you feel special. Bless the work of the full-time SIGPO.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Spankeh wrote: »
    Would you like the admins to enable the strict sig rules by a few clicks??

A simple thing would be to put a link to the rules on the page where you edit/create your sig in the first place. I'm sure it would save a lot of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Arghhh! Stupid Spelling Nazi. KILL IT NOW!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

Surely would it not be more feasible to implement some sort of notice where you upload your sig. There is nothing there to say what size its meant to be at all, how are people meant to know this?

Advertisement